Establishment and Development of the Company The company was founded in 1950 when it formed a part of Tatra Kopřivnice national enterprise. Soon after, an excavator Škoda D500 left the production line in 1954. Gradually, the production programme included production of construction machinery and special engineering products. On 1st January 1955, the Czechoslovak Minister of Engineering granted permission for PPS to start trading independently. The name, Podpolianske strojárne, was first used.
Products and Company profiling:
The year 2003 represents significant qualitative change for the company. Since September 2003 the company has operated under its new business name PPS Group a.s. (joint stock company).
Its core manufacturing programme is aimed at producing complex welded steel components - frames, arms, booms, other kinematic components and steel structures for prestigious manufacturers of mining, construction, handling and forestry machines and mechanisms. For now, additional manufacturing programme includes the production of jigs.
The milestones in modern history:
2003 – Atlas Copco entered into PPS Group, a.s. (joint stock company).
2004 – Production of arms and booms for all major European producer of construction equipment.
2007 – Detva Industrial Park – the strategic investment intention of the company was to create and then increase the capacity in Detva Industrial Park, situated directly at the PPS site. Start-up production of the loader HON 200.
2010 – Expansion of the product portfolio – production of Siemens wagons.
2012 – Expansion of capacities – investments into the new technologies (Blasting robot B20CS, Painting box TURBOINDUSTRIALE “T” – 1, Horizontal boring machine WRD 150 Q, Plasma cutting machine Omnimat 5000). Production of the HON 200 loader was finished (22 loaders have been sold).
2013 – Development of strategic partnerships with new customers.
2014/2015 – Expansion of the product portfolio – production of construction for injection moulding machinery, mobile and special cranes.
The company has continuously invested into the advanced technologies to increase the competitiveness. The company has adopted a quality management system EN ISO 9001:2008, environmental management system EN ISO 14001:2004, a welding quality system STN EN ISO 3834-2 and DIN 18800-7, and others. There is an accredited calibration laboratory operating within the company to ensure the highest quality of production.
1990 - A license agreement to produce forklifts was made with the Italian company CESAB Spa Bologna , the cooperation established with the American company CET Salt Lake City to develop a new type series of CET loaders.
1990 - 1991 - The conversion of the armaments industry and the associated expansion of the manufacturing programme in the field of construction machinery gave rise to new production line. It included loaders steered by wheel slippage, expansion of articulated loaders Detvan 500, 650 and 850 models. Expansion of the manufacturing programme by a new generation of machines - field telescopic handlers, introduction of hard drive axle production, production of harvesters. The cooperation with JOHN DEERE, BITELLI and SIMA was established. Several subsidiaries were founded abroad, as well as a PPS KRIVBASS joint venture in the Ukraine.
1997 - 2003 - The PPS Detva national enterprise was transformed into the PPS Detva plc. Public limited company and progressively integrated into DMD Holding, a.s. (joint stock company) However, instability on the traditional markets and consequences of the conversion in special production resulted to insolvency of PPS Detva, a.s. (joint stock company) in 1997 and its transformation to PPS Detva Holding, a.s. (joint stock company) that took over running of the company, including a part of its debt. Low flexibility in the light of changing conditions and lasting problems with payments of debts led to intractable economic problems in 2002, which resulted in the declaration of bankruptcy.
1980 - Launch of the UNC 200 large-volume wheel loader. The modified UNC 201 was produced until 1998. The innovations are focused on industrial robots (OJ 10) and welding manipulators (OM).
1989 - A cooperation agreement was signed with HANOMAG AG, Hannover, Germany. This can be regarded as a turning point for the current strategic focus of PPS, a partner of the original manufacturers of brand name equipment (OEM).
1970 - A new type of loader UNC 151, a result of PPS developers, was introduced in the segment of construction machinery. In the special production portfolio, production of BVP-1 armoured tracked vehicles was started. This vehicle represented the world's best and is still comparable with the technology used by the army in this category.
1974 - Launch of UN 050 loaders in cooperation with the Research and Development Institute in Zvolen. This loader was manufactured in various modifications until 1995. 30,000 units have been sold. It´s considered as a unique achievement in the area of construction machinery.
1978 - Podpolianske strojárne Detva changed its name and the company known as Závody ažkého strojárstva, š.p. Detva since the beginning of 1978.
1960 - The company introduced the HON 050 hydraulic rotary loader to the market. With several improvement (HON 051 and HON 053), the loader became the best-selling product manufactured under the PPS brand. This loader was produced until 1974.
1962 - Production of the track personnel carrier OT 62 started. It soon became a favourite with customers, and was very successful exported product.
1966 - Start of production of the SATUR 035k telescopic excavator. Its design was a revolutionary in the construction machinery market.
1954 - first product of the enterprise – the Škoda D 500 excavator.
1955 - Start of operation in the production hall 3 (22,000 m2).
1958 - Establishment of a development centre and prototype workshop, giving rise to the D 031k excavator. The core production programme of the enterprise was established by the launch of the OT 810 armoured personnel transporter. The production programme gradually settled on the production of machines for construction and defence equipment.
1. Slovak Engineering Cluster:
The vision of 1st engineering society is to build a highly prestigious and modern engineering base in terms of Human Resources, New technologies and Innovations for establishment of subcontracting chains. The society operates in a field of strategic projects for production of construction machinery, transport industry, forestry and agriculture.
PPS Group Inc. is a member of the First engineering society. The company´s aim is to improve the mutual communication between engineering companies, educational and development& research institutions. It also allows us to access the most up to date technological information.
Economic Council of the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering (FME) at the Slovak University of Technology (STU):
The objectives of the Economic Council of FME SUT:
- Improving the teaching process with a focus on practical needs
- Creating conditions for transfer of knowledge between FME SUT and industrial enterprises in order to facilitate mutual development
- Increasing employment opportunities for FME SUT graduates
- Providing ideas in the field of applied research at FME SUT as required by practice
- Promoting transfer of results of scientific research at FME SUT into practice
PPS Group a.s. (joint stock company) also co-operates with:
- Town of Detva
- Combined Secondary School, Detva
- Technical University, Zvolen
- Slovak University of Technology, Bratislava
- Labour and Social Office, Zvolen
- Regional government in Banská Bystrica
- Prvá zváraèská, a.s. (joint stock company)
- Simex Control SK, Ltd.
- Welding Research Institute - Industrial Institute of SR
- SNAS Slovak National Accreditation Service
PPS Group, a.s. (joint stock company) takes a full responsibility for the environment. Compliance with the current legislation is principal for the environmental protection. The company strives to protect the environment and prevent from damaging effects.
In order to achieve improvements in overall environmental protection the company implemented an environmental management system according to EN ISO 14 001:2004 in 2013. For certificate confirming compliance with the standard of this system see section Quality. Environmental policy was established to set framework for environmental management and for identifying priorities and setting appropriate environmental objectives and targets.
Enviromental politics (PDF)
The natural resources of groundwater are used to supply drinking water into the site. The sewage tanks are used to treat all waste water at the site. A wood chip burning boiler installed in 2007 is used to increase utilization of renewable energy.
The impact of our activities on the environment is reduced by:
- Selecting the best available technology for new projects
- Operation of sewerage plant
- Reducing waste through separation
- Recovering maximum quantities of waste
- Measuring emissions we generate
- Minimising the use of non-renewable resources
- Regular analysis of the environment
Suggestions, ideas and issues related to the environment can be addressed at: email@example.com
Information about the environmental conditions in PPS Group, a.s. (joint stock company) Detva in accordance with Art. 33 of Act No. 17/1992 Coll. on the Environment, as amended:
Enviromental report from 2017 (PDF)